Confident body language is a good thing, but how many of us know what we are saying with our bodies? Are you aware of what you say when you cross your arms? Here are some tips to show just how confident you are.
- Get a grip! A nice, solid firm handshake is often your calling card. You don’t want to be a cold, dead fish, but you don’t want to put the person you are greeting in a cast either, so practice your grip, and shake!
- Smile! Big white teeth and a happy grin show everyone you are happy and confident. If you smile at someone else, it’s nearly impossible for them to not smile in return. So smile, it increases your face value!
- Stand up straight! What your mother always said was true, good posture is important. Standing up straight makes it look like you know what you are doing, even if that isn’t the case. When your feet are planted firmly on the ground you are able to support your entire body and this makes you feel your full stature.
- Walk on! When you walk up to someone, do it with a long stride, not mincing little steps that make you look like you are too timid to live! A long stride goes a long way toward showing someone you are confident and comfortable in your skin.
- Look up! ALWAYS make eye contact. If you are speaking with anyone for any reason in person, then look them in the eyes. Failing to do so will likely cause them to believe you aren’t trustworthy. Remember people relate to and do business with the people they know, like, and trust.
- Be still! Keep your hands folded nicely in your lap when possible. Picking, poking, and messing about with your hands is distracting and can become annoying. It can also make you look like you are frightened of something, or perhaps too nervous to function. Use your hands in a way that will help you – such as gesturing to make a point. Otherwise, keep them folded and quiet.